Lewis and Roca
HMA PR/PRGN, Phoenix/USA, 7.03.2011
Jak dobrze robić PR dla firmy prawniczej? Oto doświadczenia amerykańskiej agencji HMA z Phoenix w Arizonie.
Lewis and Roca is one of the Southwest's leading law firms, providing legal counsel for more than 50 years through its offices in Phoenix and Tucson, Arizona, Las Vegas and Reno, Nevada and Albuquerque, New Mexico. The firm's practice includes numerous industry and legal practice areas.
HMA Public Relations serves as the agency of record for Lewis and Roca providing ongoing media relations and community relations support for the firm’s five offices. HMA works in partnership with the firm’s integrated marketing team.
HMA Public Relations and Lewis and Roca established its primary goal for media relations as positioning Lewis and Roca as a highly respected law firm and its attorneys and professionals as knowledgeable resources in their respective practice area using print media.
Lewis and Roca operates five offices in the Southwest: Phoenix and Tucson, Arizona, Las Vegas and Reno, Nevada and Albuquerque, New Mexico. All offices are poised to be resources on the targeted practice areas. Having available resources across the markets provides a unique opportunity to work with a wide variety of media, both print and broadcast.
HMA is also able to maximize its story ideas across all markets – a good story in one market is a good story in another market.
HMA meets with the marketing team on a monthly basis. These meetings are designed to provide feedback on ongoing pitches and story placements and to brainstorm potential new story ideas. These meetings take place at the law firm so immediate feedback from the attorney being recommended as the source is often immediately available.
Story idea development comes from a wide variety of resources – directly from the attorney, national stories that can be localized, legislative issues, Supreme Court decisions with local impact and general interest stories where an attorney can be positioned as the resource.
Upon story idea selection, HMA develops the story pitch and determines which key media will receive the pitch. Once received by the media, the HMA team follows-up, either by email or telephone, to secure an interview.
In most instances, HMA and a member of the marketing team participate in all interviews. The role is to guide the interview to the key messages and to ensure that the attorney and the name of the firm are mentioned within the context of the story.
Upon completion of the interview, HMA remains in touch with the reporter to provide any additional information and to track the story placement.
HMA utilizes a press clipping service that provides a mounted copy of the each article upon publication.
HMA is fortunate to have a strong working relationship with the marketing team as well as the attorneys themselves. The challenges faced are often from external sources. These challenges are:
- There are many law firms in the metropolitan areas where Lewis and Roca has an office. The challenge is positioning the firm and attorneys as the reliable source – elevating Lewis and Roca above the clutter of all the law firms. Every firm is competing for media attention and the recognition and new business that accompany it.
- HMA and Lewis and Roca were not just looking for any media coverage, but rather solid, newsworthy articles and information that further strengthen the reputation of the firm. Therefore, the challenge is to create a compelling story idea that features the firm and its attorneys.
- Confidentiality factors largely into what the attorneys are able to speak about. Attorneys need to convey ideas and information sometimes without disclosing details or names of clients. This proves to be difficult for two reasons:
- Explanations must be done without citing specific examples and can, therefore, be more difficult to understand.
- Reporters like to hear big name clients.
- •Each reporter wants something different and part of HMA’s mission is to find out what that is. Each story idea and guest editorial must be crafted to fit not only the publication, but the preferences of the individual editor as well.
HMA annually generates more than $75,000 worth of print media coverage. The real value, however, lies in the recognition and respect that cannot be purchased in advertisements.
A wide variety of quality articles have been placed on a consistent and timely basis. Publications have included major dailies, weeklies, community papers, trade publications, business publications and online media.
As a result of the efforts put forth by HMA Public Relations and Lewis and Roca, reporters and editors recognize Lewis and Roca as the law firm to go to for credible and timely information and knowledgeable resources.
- Crisis communications: maximum disclosure, minimum delay
- 15 Changes I’ve Seen in 15 Years
- Make the Agency/Client Bond a Strong One
- PR Confidential: Is There Such a Thing as Attorney-Client Privilege?
- The “Dilution Solution” – and corporate reversal of fortune
- Weekly Reads – Nurturing Brand Advocates, Twitter Hacks and Ranked Tweets
- A Century Later, Still Defining PR